Juvederm and Voluma
Does your skin show the lines and creases of a physical age that you just don’t feel inside? You’ve kept active and physically fit all your adult life. Your mind radiates the spirit of someone only twenty-five. Your skin, on the other hand, may be telling a different story.
The Skin's Foundation
Skin is made up of two layers: The outer most layer of skin is called the epidermis. It is the protective barrier that controls the loss of water from the cells and tissues of our bodies. Below the epidermis is a second layer of skin called the dermis. The dermis is primarily made up of a protein called collagen. Collagen forms the framework of support for our skin.
Why do lines appear?
When skin is young, the collagen framework is intact, keeping the skin moisturized and elastic. Young skin is resilient. Facial lines that appear when we smile or frown simply disappear when we stop smiling or frowning.
Over time, the collagen framework weakens and our skin loses its elasticity. Older skin is less resilient, so the facial lines that appear with a smile or frown don’t disappear when we stop smiling or frowning.
Soft tissue augmentation using implants injected just below the skin’s surface can add volume beneath the skin and smooth out deep furrows that do not respond to surface treatments. Common areas for treatment are the “worry lines” or “smile lines” found on the face. Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Collagen all produce an immediate and visible difference in the appearance of the skin. Just as with natural collagen, unfortunately, soft tissue augmentation eventually loses its form and wears down. Repeat treatments are required to maintain the improvements over time.
What are the differences between Collagen implants and other soft tissue augmentation products?
- The effects of collagen injections last approximately 3 months, while Restylane and Juvederrm have been shown to last up to 6 months and longer.
- Restylane and Juvederm are not derived from animals while Collagen is animal based. As a result, the risk of an allergic reaction to Restylane or Juvederm is virtually eliminated. Restylane and Juvederm do not require a pretest, so the procedure can be done on your first visit.
- With Collagen, a small number of individuals report allergic reactions. Therefore, a simple skin test performed on the forearm is required to determine if you are sensitive to injectable collagen. This results in a delay before treatments can begin.
- Collagen injections are less expensive per visit than Restylane or Juvederm, but more frequent vists are required.
If you’re like most people that show no adverse reactions, soft tissue augmentation using Restylane, Perlane or Juvederm might be a tool to help your skin come into line with your spirit’s sense of self. Ask Dr. Miller today.
- Services Available
- >> Acne
- >> Aging skin
- >> Allergic conditions
- >> Hair and nail disorders
- >> Hyperhidrosis / Sweating
- >> Psoriasis
- >> Retail Products
- >> Skin Cancer
- >> Warts & benign tumors
- >> Other skin disorders
- DR. MILLER OUT OF OFFICEJan 25, 2017 1:00 AM - Dr. Miller will not see patients in her office from 01/28/2017 - 02/12/2017. Please call our office to reschedule if you were previously scheduled to be seen during this time period. >> Read More
- RESOLVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN IN THE NEW YEARJan 01, 2017 1:00 AM - >> Read More
- KNOW WHEN TO COME IN FROM THE COLDDec 01, 2016 6:00 AM - Look here for information about skin ailments related to cold weather: >> Read More
- LAYERED LIVESNov 01, 2016 5:03 AM - There are times when the pages on the calendar seem to exfoliate faster than a maple in fall. One page after another and suddenly another year has flown by. Just as time is marked on your calendar, your skin marks the passage of time by shedding older layers to reveal the new below. The passing of time may be unwanted and seem scary, but the joy of the New Year is truly a blessing. It can be for your skin as well. >> Read More
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT REQUIRES THE FOLLOWING NOTICEOct 15, 2016 3:13 AM - DISCRIMINATION IS AGAINST THE LAW: Debra R Miller MD LLC complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. Debra R Miller MD LLC does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. >> Read More